Do You Need to Hire a Lawyer After a Personal Injury?

If you or a loved one has been injured due to someone else’s negligence, you may feel confused as to whether a potential legal claim may be worth pursuing or if you should get the help of a qualified personal injury attorney as the claims adjuster keeps telling you everything will be taken care of. Remember you will want to consider having an experienced attorney do a free evaluation of your case, because the claims adjuster is not on your side. Whether you contact us or another personal injury attorney, we recommend you consult with an experienced and qualified personal injury attorney as soon as possible after your accident. Otherwise, you may jeopardize the value of your case if you fail to consult an attorney and rely on the advice of the claims adjuster. Sometimes the claims adjuster can steer you wrong by telling you that he or she will set you up with a doctor and then does nothing, and you delay your medical treatment waiting for a medical appointment that never materialized, which in turn, jeopardizes the settlement value of your case. With offices in Columbus, Conyers, Decatur, Griffin and Atlanta, Affleck & Gordon is ready to provide you with a free case evaluation. Affleck & Gordon’s personal injury attorneys have provided assertive and effective representation to maximize their clients’ compensation. If you are looking for passionate and results-driven representation with your personal injury case to ensure you receive the highest possible settlement or award you deserve, we can provide that same legal representation for you. Fighting for your rights for over 30 years, Affleck & Gordon will get you the benefits you deserve. Contact the passionate and caring personal injury attorneys at Affleck & Gordon to get you the settlement you deserve.

Personal injury laws cover a vast range of events including:
  • car wrecks
  • truck accidents
  • slip and fall accidents
  • trip and falls
  • dog bites
  • medical malpractice
  • nursing home malpractice
  • premises liability
  • product liability
  • scaffolding accidents
  • negligent or inadequate security
  • motorcycle accidents

If you’ve been in a car wreck, truck accident or had another serious personal injury, the attorneys at Affleck & Gordon are ready to listen to you and explain your rights to you.

Let the caring and experienced lawyers at Affleck & Gordon help you get the settlement you deserve for your medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.

Call us now at 404-373-1649 for a free consultation.

Did You Have a Car Accident Caused by Someone Else’s Negligence?

When you are hurting, going to the doctor and trying to recover from your injuries and the insurance adjuster keeps calling you trying to get you to settle your case for less than its worth, you need the help of a qualified personal injury attorney to deal with the insurance adjuster and its lawyers so you can focus on your health and recovery. You need the help of an experienced personal injury attorney to strengthen your arguments, gather your medical evidence and doctor’s opinions and maximize your claim for the highest possible settlement.

Do you have both physical and mental pain and suffering?

Beyond medical bills and lost wages from being out of work, you or your loved one can also be compensated for your pain and suffering which includes not only physical discomfort and pain but also mental injuries such as fear, sleeplessness, grief, worry, inconvenience and the loss of the enjoyment of life.


Who Will Pay Your Medical Bills After an Accident When Someone Else is At Fault?

Sometimes insurance adjusters tell you that the insurance company will pay your medical bills. However, this does not mean that the adjuster will pay your bill every time you go to the doctor. Instead the adjuster normally means that she will eventually consider your medical bills as part of a general settlement. The adjuster might agree to pay your past medical bills if you sign a general release. However, this is a mistake because there are other components to your case that you give up by signing a general release. If you sign a release, you might give up the right to compensation for lost wages, future medical bills, and pain and suffering.

Instead, you should be prepared to initially pay your own medical bills. If you have medical insurance or a medical pay policy with your own car insurance company, you can use either of those to pay your medical bills. If you do not have medical insurance, some doctors are willing to see patients based on a lien. This means the doctor will agree to treat you because he/she has reason to believe that you will be able to pay them back out of a settlement or verdict. Not every doctor is willing to treat on a lien, so you might have to look around until you find one that does.

Eventually, in most cases, we will send a settlement demand to the adjuster after you have received treatment to see if we can settle your case without going to a trial. In that demand, we will include your medical bills as one component of your case. Normally, we will provide itemized billing from the physicians who have treated you. We will also provide estimates of your future medical costs along with the value of other damages like lost wages and pain and suffering. If the adjuster is unwilling to settle for what your case is worth, we then will file suit and go to trial and ask a jury to order the driver that injured you to pay your medical bills along with other damages including your physical and mental pain and suffering.

What Is An Insurance Policy Limit and How Will It Affect My Case?

When you purchase insurance for your car, you pay different amounts for different amounts of coverage. In Georgia, the state minimum coverage is $25,000 for an individual and $50,000 for an occurrence or accident. This means if there are several people injured in an accident, the coverage is limited to $25,000 for each person and a total of $50,000 for everyone combined. You can always purchase a policy with higher limits, but the premium will be higher.

If you are hurt in an accident, the other driver’s insurance policy will limit how much money you can recover from that person’s insurance company. If your medical bills are more than $25,000, but the other driver only has a state minimum policy, more likely than not, you will only be able to recover $25,000 from the other driver’s insurance company. Therefore, at the outset of the case you will want to get a copy of the other driver’s insurance policy to determine how much coverage he or she has. In theory, you are not limited to the insurance policy. You could always get a verdict larger than the other driver’s insurance policy and then try to get the other driver to pay you directly. In reality, this is normally not very practical. Someone with state minimum coverage normally does not have money to pay you. The old cliché about trying to get blood from a turnip applies well here.

One way you can protect yourself from drivers with state minimum coverage is by increasing your uninsured motorist policy. Uninsured motorist policies are really underinsured policies. If your case is worth more than $25,000, your uninsured motorist policy will pay the amount beyond the other driver’s policy limits. Therefore, if you can afford the increased premiums, you should really consider increasing your uninsured motorist policy.

Ready to get started?

Get your free consultation today!